Tuesday, June 15, 2010
The weather here has been getting warmer, and I've spent the last few evenings in the pool. That is a picture of our pool here at the complex, and I've been loving it. When I was younger, I was a regular fish in water, and loved spending hours swimming, diving, and playing in the pool. Volleyball and basketball in the pool provided fun times where you never really felt like you were exercising. Of course, you might have felt it the following morning! I was also on the water polo team in high school, and treading water like that, definitely builds up your stamina and muscle in your legs, abs and arms.
Along with swimming laps, whether front, back, side, breast or butterfly strokes, here are a few more exercise tips from Jillian Michaels that can help you burn calories in the water:
1. Push-ups on the side of the pool.
2. Dips on the side of the pool.
3. Treading water. (If this is easy for you, hold a dumbbell over your head and try it.) -- We did this for water polo practice, and it's definitely a workout!!
4. Hold weights in your hands and try running laps in a lap pool. This is fun and challenging.
5. Hold a kickboard and do only kicking-drill laps.
6. Place a Styrofoam block between your legs and hold it tight so that your legs are totally stationary. Now try swimming laps using only your arms. -- This was another one we did in wp practice, and you will definitely feel the burn!!
7. Up-downs: Go into the deep end of the pool. Dive to the bottom and then jump from the bottom back up to the surface. Catch your breath and repeat.
The great part about working out in water is the natural resistance that the water brings from all sides of the body. Water workouts are also great for people that are trying to start up an exercise routine, but have limited mobility, or problems with their joints. It's low impact, but can be a great cardiovascular workout. Maybe with all the exercising I've been doing I'll finally have enough courage to buy a regular bathing suit instead of going in my spandex and tank tops all the time! LOL
Now go out and make a splash today!!
written by Cheryl Chamberlain at 9:44 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Ugh. I have access to a pool, but haven't taken a plunge in years. This means I am lame, of course.ReplyDelete